1. Download the image
Download the ISO image from ftp://taxaideaarp.org and save to the desktop.
User ID: The user name is composed of 3 elements which are combined into one word using all lower case.
- The acronym for the person associated with a tax preparation site who transmits the tax return.
- The acronym for the lead person in a district.
- The form number of the form that the program asks all Taxpayers to sign after their tax return is complete.
Password: (current year’s PC windows password)
2. Prepare a flash drive
|Using DISKPART||Using Rufus|
||Download Rufus.exe from http://rufus.ie and run it.
3. Boot the PC from the flash drive
- Connect to router with a network cable (wireless won’t work)
- Check configurations if the PC has never been imaged:
- Restart the PC holding F1, F2, F10 or F12 down to Enter setup (varies by PC)
- Check configuration settings for this PC per instructions
- Restart the PC holding F12 down (process varies by PC)
- Select boot from USB on boot list menu. Respond to messages as appropriate.
- Click the “Activate This System” desktop icon.
4. Register the PC with Tax-Aide Inventory database
This should be automatic during the installation process if your system is already in the database.
New donated PCs need to be added. See the FAQ document listed above for the process.
5. Customize your PC
Some suggestions are:
- Clean unnecessary icons from the desktop, start menu and taskbar
- Add the Calculator, Internet Explorer and Chrome buttons to the taskbar
- Automatically connect to your network(s)
- Add printers (and scanners)
- Change Installer password?
- Microsoft office viewers are no longer supported. DO NOT USE THEM.